My research agenda covers three broad themes: International trade, in particular its political economy and connection with foreign policy, the spatial dimension of international trade and migration, often in the context of the so-called gravity equation, and applied econometrics. My work is characterized by policy-relevant research questions that make use of state-of-the-art quantitative methods often involving big data, as well as devising and implementing econometric techniques to handle such types of data.
- Friendly Fire: The Trade Impact of the Russia Sanctions and Counter-Sanctions — with Matthieu Crozet. Forthcoming at Economic Policy. details latest draft
- Cost of Sanctions: Estimating Lost Trade with Gravity. In Disrupted Economic Relationships, CESifo Seminar Series at MIT Press, V. Nitsch and T. Besedeš eds. details link
- Worth the pain? Firms' exporting behaviour to countries under sanctions — with Matthieu Crozet, Amrei Stammann and Joschka Wanner. Revise and resubmit at European Economic Review. details
- Persistent Zeros: The Extensive Margin of Trade — with Amrei Stammann and Joschka Wanner. Under review. details latest draft
- Bearing the cost of politics: Consumer prices and welfare in Russia — with Evgenii Monastyrenko. Revise and resubmit at Journal of International Economics. details latest draft
- Separating the Wheat from the Chaff: Fast Estimation of GLMs with High-Dimensional Fixed Effects — with Alexander Hudletz and Joschka Wanner. Work in progress. details latest draft
Work in progress
- Heteroskedasticity, Zeroes, Incidental Parameters, Weighting, and Model Misspecification: What Drives the Differences in Gravity Estimates? — with Mario Larch, Joschka Wanner and Yoto V. Yotov.
- Frictions impede assortative matching in a global market for talent — with Keith Head.
- To Russia with Love? The Impact of Sanctions on Elections — with Robert Gold and Michele Valsecchi.
- Now We’re Talking: Quantifying the Effect of Languages on Trade with 2 billion Tweets — with Elsa Leromain.
- Transpazifische Partnerschaft TPP: Totgeglaubte leben länger. Wirtschaftsdienst. link
- Russia’s and the EU’s Sanctions. Economic and Trade Effects, Compliance and the Way Forward — with Elisabeth Christen, Oliver Fritz and Franz Sinabell. link
- Auswirkungen der Wirtschaftssanktionen der EU und Russlands auf Wertschöpfung und Beschäftigung in Österreich und der EU — with Elisabeth Christen, Oliver Fritz and Gerhard Streicher. link